Outstanding VR/AR/MR Application
This Award recognizes the innovative use of VR/AR/MR technologies to develop effective and efficient training and performance support interventions. Over the last few years there has been an explosion of interest in ‘extended realities’ within the Defence community; however, as the technology moves from novelty to ‘tool box’ it is clear that there remains much to learn about the optimal applications of extended realities in military training and performance support. Application of VR/AR/MR spans a broad continuum ranging from individual and team training to individual and team performance support. The purpose of this award is to showcase success stories and acknowledge excellence.
An outstanding VR/AR/MR based training or performance support intervention provides exceptional value to the client in that it is effective and efficient. Effective means the application does what it was intended to do, and efficient means that it generates value. Positive impacts on the trainees, performers, the business process, the organization and the environment all add to value.
To qualify, nominations must:
- Be submitted by the application designer/developer;
- Be for an application that has been implemented since 1 Jan 2019;
- Include a description of the application, not to exceed 500 words, that clearly states the technology framework, describes the skills trained, tasks performed/supported, instructional methods as applicable, and the assessment and evaluation strategy;
- Include quantitative and qualitative measures of the success of the intervention;
- Include an assessment of the impact of the application, and its results, on the client’s organization;
- May include client testimonials;
- Include a completed release statement; and
- Be received by the deadline.
Security and confidentiality
Access to submissions will be on a “need to know basis”, however submitters should be aware there is no facility to handle data from Official Use Only, and higher categories at the national, NATO and other levels, and draft their submissions accordingly. All submissions will be destroyed within 1 month of the final awards. Submitters should identify data that has “commercial sensitivity”.
For this award, the main criteria for the success of the intervention reside in the innovation, effectiveness, and value of the application as indicated by positive impacts on the various stakeholders.
Applications that are considered to be breaking new ground and exceeding the hype in either training or performance support (or both) will be rewarded accordingly. Applications in entirely new and novel areas will be weighted highest.
In a training intervention effectiveness can be measured by student achievement of performance objectives and by transfer to either subsequent training modules or to the job. Positive effects on job performance can demonstrate effectiveness of a performance support initiative, in terms such as time, accuracy, or error rate, or even by eliminating the need for training. In short, an effective intervention meets or exceeds the expectations of the client. Submissions with higher impact on student achievement, or workplace performance will be weighted higher.
Ultimately, the purpose of any training or performance support intervention is to provide value to the client. The impact of the intervention and its results can be expressed in many ways, depending on gaps the intervention is intended to close. Submissions exhibiting higher value to the client will be weighted higher.
Who may nominate for an award?
Any designer/developer of an extended reality intervention may submit.
Making a Submission
- Using the guidelines in the template for your category, create a draft of your submission. Keep in mind the tips.
- Finalize your draft.
- When you are satisfied that your submission is complete, copy and paste the content into the forms of the template.
- You will not be able to edit on line once the submission is made. Check everything again.
- Submit using the button on the bottom of the form
- In the remote event you have changes to make you will be required to completely resubmit. The version with the most recent time stamp before the closing date will be accepted.
- Submissions/versions time stamped after the closing date/time will not be considered.